Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students

What kind of job can I get with a degree in Recreation, Sport and Tourism?

The undergraduate program in Recreation, Sport and Tourism prepares students to design, manage and deliver services to a variety of people in diverse settings. The majority of our students are exploring potential careers related to one of the three leisure industries; recreation, sport and tourism. Along these lines, students have found positions in Community Recreation (Park Districts, YMCA's), Commercial Recreation (Disney, Theme Parks), Professional, Collegiate, and Amateur Sport, and in Travel, Tourism, Hospitality and Event Planning. Our industry is one of the most diverse and profitable in the United States (Over 1 Trillion in expenditures) and careers are expected to grow faster or much faster than average over the next 8 years. For more information, try enrolling in one of the introductory classes, or make arrangements to speak with the Academic Advisor.

I am already a student on the UIUC campus, and would like to transfer to Recreation, Sport and Tourism. What do I need to do?

First you should obtain a copy of the Intercollegiate Transfer (ICT) Application form available on this website. Review the application, the deadlines, and submit it as directed. You should meet with the Recreation, Sport and Tourism Academic Advisor to discuss your interests and qualifications to determine if this major is a good fit for you.

I am a high school student or a student at another institution of higher education, and would like to come to the University of Illinois to major in Recreation, Sport and Tourism. What do I need to do?

Your first step is to carefully review the Admissions and Records website ( There you will find all the information prospective students need. If, however, you would like to make arrangements for you or your family to come to campus to meet with the Academic Advisor, you should call the advising office at 217-244-2695 as soon as possible to set up an appointment. Please keep in mind that certain times of year are exceptionally busy for advisors, and appointments often book weeks in advance.

What types of classes would I take in Recreation, Sport and Tourism?

A copy of the curriculum is available on this website for your review. Students in this program will receive a very well-rounded education. The curriculum consists of 5 major components:


  • General Education Requirements
  • Leisure Theory Requirements
  • Management Core Requirements
  • Concentration Area Requirements
  • The Practicum (Internship) Requirement

Current Students

How can I set up an appointment to meet with the Academic Advisor?

Call 217-244-2695.

I am sick/have an emergency and need to (have already) miss class. What do I do?

You should contact the Emergency Dean (217) 333-0050 as soon as possible to document your situation. In addition, you should contact your instructors by e-mail to explain your situation. Finally, you should notify your academic advisor by e-mail to inform them of your situation.

I am trying to register for a required class, but the computer keeps giving me an error message. What can I do?

Sometimes the error messages you receive are very clear (i.e. Section Closed). In many cases, the class has simply filled to capacity and no further seats are available. If you feel you are receiving a message in error, or have been specifically advised to take the course by your academic advisor you should:


  • Carefully note what error message Enterprise is giving you
  • Call/E-mail your academic advisor to determine an appropriate solution.

I am struggling in one (or all) of my classes, and fear I may be in danger of failing. The drop deadline has expired, what can I do?

Remember that simply doing poorly in a class is not justification for dropping the class past the deadline. If, however, you have had outside circumstances that have impacted your academic performance, you can petition to late drop a class. This petition form is available in the department office or from the academic advisor.

I want to take a class over the summer. How can I make sure it will transfer to UIUC to fill a requirement?

There is a wonderful website that you should familiarize yourself with. Please visit: which will direct you to CAS Illinois. This is a very easy user friendly site that will allow you take the guesswork out of transfer articulation.

My advisor told me to take a GENERAL EDUCATION class. How do I know if a class fills a general education requirement?

There are two quick and easy ways. First, when you pull up the course on the class schedule it will indicate if the class has been approved for general education credit, and what requirement it fills. For example, when you select AAS 100, under the course title you will see:


  • This course satisfies the General Education Criteria for a UIUC Social Sciences, and US Minority Culture(s) course.

If the class you are looking at does not have such an entry on the class schedule, it is likely not a General Education. To double check, you can visit the following website: to double check to see if the class is a gen ed. This website is also a great resource for you to see what classes are available to fill each of these requirements.